Juniper Communities is an assisted living network dedicated to fostering active bodies, engaged minds, and fulfilled spirits for its residents. However, communication was hard work for staff as the organization was relying on an outdated and unreliable PBX phone system. To continue providing industry-leading services, the organization decided it was time to upgrade to a new IP communication solution.
Juniper Communities understands the importance of preserving our natural environment. Their Green Canopy program promotes healthier living for residents, staff, and the community through various environmentally-conscious events and initiatives. Through the Green Canopy program, the organization has helped plant trees in the local community, organized fundraising events to restore fresh waterways in Florida’s coastal region, and cared for gardens of flowers and vegetables every spring. Additionally, the Chatham location was one of the first retirement communities to embrace the green building movement; using LEED standards to design the building.
As Juniper Communities planned their modernization to IP, network infrastructure became a key challenge. Traditional network design philosophy would involve ripping and replacing the existing voice infrastructure with new Ethernet. Along with the extremely negative environmental impacts, the organization was concerned with the long deployment times and the disruption to their residents that this would cause. Juniper Communities required an innovative solution to overcome their challenges.
Change the Conversation; Improve the Outcome
Given the customer’s needs, Telecom Express was confident in recommending Modern LAN design – and introduced the customer to the NVT Phybridge PoLRE PoE switch. The PoLRE switch allows organizations to leverage their existing infrastructure, eliminating the disruptive, time-consuming, and costly rip-and-replace requirement. Juniper Communities was impressed and decided to test the solution in their environment. After a few simple setup steps, the PoLRE switch transformed their existing and proven voice network into a secure and robust PoE backbone for their new Polycom IP phones. The PoLRE switch extends PoE up to 1,200ft (365m) – 4 times farther than standard PoE switches – which ensured the customer could easily connect the new IP phones exactly where they were needed. Juniper Communities was able to responsibly modernize to IP, as they were able to:
- Prevent over 650 lbs of wiring from ending up in a landfill
- Eliminate IDF closet requirements; reducing ongoing energy consumption
- Maintain a physically separate point-to-point network topology for voice to enhance network security
- Simplify their modernization to IP and eliminate disruption to staff and residents
“Our existing telecom system was aging, unreliable and becoming a huge liability”, said Don Breneman, Vice President of Risk Management and Business Operations at Juniper Communities. “As we planned the upgrade to IP, saving money while providing a high level of reliability and system management was important to our team. Luckily for us, Mark Janifer from Telecom Express introduced me to the perfect innovation from NVT Phybridge. I would highly recommend the PoLRE solution to any organization upgrading their communication system to IP.”
A Better Outcome for Juniper Communities and Telecom Express
Juniper Communities took a proactive approach to find new and better ways to support their IP modernization objectives in a financially and socially responsible manner. The organization was able to satisfy all the necessary infrastructure requirements without compromise, thanks to the simplicity and cost-effectiveness of the solution. By applying Modern LAN principles and leveraging innovative switch technology, Juniper Communities was able to:
- Reduce infrastructure costs by over $100,000; significantly improving the project’s return on investment
- Accelerate the project’s timeline and eliminate operational disruption to staff and residents
- Reduce the project’s impact on the environment; preventing over 650 lbs of e-waste from entering a landfill
- Build a secure and robust PoE platform for their new Polycom IP solution
- Find a no-compromise solution that satisfied all the customer’s requirements
Additionally, Telecom Express used NVT Phybridge PoE innovations to:
- Accelerate revenue recognition
- Collapse sales and deployment cycles
- Improve their margin
- Differentiate their market offering with thought leadership and innovation
- Deliver a great user experience
If you have an upcoming IP/IoT modernization project, we would love to help! Click below to book a one-on-one meeting with one of our Digital Transformation Consultants.