A large university in the United States Midwest has modernized its communication capabilities; building upon its mission of providing excellence in education. The project will improve collaboration and overall operational efficiencies to provide a better student experience.
Sustainability and environmental science are major research initiatives of the university through their affiliated research partner. Students, faculty, and graduates collaborate on research initiatives aimed at solving the world’s most important energy and environmental challenges. Together with its research partners, the University is helping to solve challenges around climate change, renewable energy, land preservation, pollution, and waste management.
The university understands the vital importance of preserving Earth’s limited resources, as well as reducing pollution and waste. After planning the communication upgrade, the customer became concerned with the environmental impact. The customer discovered the PoLRE® switch, with SmartPathPoE technology, capable of transmitting data and power over new or existing voice infrastructure four times farther than standard Ethernet switches. By leveraging Modern LAN principles and the NVT Phybridge PoLRE switch, the customer was able to:
- Deploy over 4,000 IP phones across campus
- Accelerate the deployment by 90%
- Reuse its existing infrastructure investments; preventing 12 tons of cable from ending up in a landfill
- Reduce ongoing energy consumption by eliminating the need to install over 100 new IDF closets which would have required power, cooling, space, and backup power
- Reduce overall infrastructure costs by approximately $2.8 million, which can be reallocated to further fund the customer’s sustainability research initiatives
- Eliminate the need to rip-and-replace the existing wiring infrastructure; reducing the project’s material consumption as no renovations were required
A Better Return on Investment
The university took a pro-active approach to find new and better ways to support their IP modernization objectives in a financially and socially responsible manner. By applying Modern LAN principles and leveraging innovative technology, the customer reduced infrastructure costs, eliminated risk, and disruption, reduced the negative impact on the environment, fast-tracked their IP modernization, and has built a secure and robust platform for their enhanced IP communications solution.
If you have an upcoming IP/IoT modernization project, we would love to help! Click below to book a one-on-one meeting with one of our Digital Transformation Consultants.
Follow us on Social Media